Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Got a Golden Ticket

I got a golden ticket! I got a golden chance to find my way! 

That song was from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I really didn't find a golden ticket nestled in my Nestle's, but I was accepted into the 116th Boston Marathon. It's official folks. After last year's debacle of a registration that sold out in eight hours, I decided that I really wanted to run this year and have it be my last marathon for a while. The waking up early, the long runs, the injuries, etc, I can do without. So that's why I had to make sure I registered myself this year.

Many months before the process even started, I marked the date I could register on my iPhone calendar and made sure I was notified at least two days before. Also in the preceding days, I checked the Running World Forums to see how the new rules were affecting everyone.

My qualifying marathon was the 2010 Detroit Free Press Marathon with a time of 3:01:45, so I would be able to register with the third group on Friday 16 September. (Those with BQ -20 were allowed to register on Monday, and those with BQ -10 were able to register on Wednesday.) And then Monday (19th) of this week, I received a notification that my $150 dollars were collected by the Boston Athletic Association. So I'm going to Boston!

I already have my hotel reserved using all my Marriott points. I'll be staying here. Now all I need is a flight and I'm all set. I've already invited my parents, so I'm going to make an event out of it.

Logistically, I'm almost set. But I still haven't decided on my goal time. I would say sub three hours, but it's just been too many times, too many heartbreaks. Plus it's seven months away. I have time to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers