Monday, December 17, 2012

Boston Marathon 2012: Day 2

I woke up and sat petrified in my bed for about an hour and a half. What had I gotten myself into? It wasn't some hot piece that I was waking up beside, it was the fact that I'd committed myself to run 26.2 miles the next day, and the temperature was reported to almost touch 90 degrees.

Finally I knew that I had to get out of bed, so I decided to run a brief 1.5 miles along the wharf. Seeing everyone outside and admiring Boston's architecture and twisting roads was a welcome distraction. Working up a little sweat calmed my nerves.

Eddie and I made our way to Cambridge to visit Harvard because he had never been. There really is a crackle in the air that I can feel when walking in the commons. People there are just too smart-- I feel like they are reading my thoughts with their giant brains and are not at all impressed. We walked forever to get to a sandwich shop that I can no longer remember the name of, but I had an excellent sandwich made with real bread. Worth it.

Me with "Shoey"
Later that evening we went to the FREE (with proof of registration) pasta dinner at City Hall. It's a really ugly building, but it's decent food and the volunteers were on point. So why not?

Back at the hotel we got ready for the next day. I always feel like everything has to be perfect. I tried making little salt packets since there wasn't any salt packets anywhere in Boston. I need to order some for the next fiasco. Anyway, we got all ready for tomorrow and headed for the roof deck to contemplate our own mortality and look out across the river before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers