Monday, January 18, 2010

Runner's Low

Many people know about the "runner's high" that is caused by the endorphins after partaking in strenuous exercise. It's probably one of the reasons why I like running as opposed to weight lifting or some other non-endorphin producing activity. (You can read a little bit about the runner's high here.)

I often have that effect especially during my long runs during the weekends. I often feel very serene and content immediately following my runs and after I eat. Then for the rest of the day I get a little depressed. Maybe not depressed, but something is off. It's as though I am very happy, then my body balances itself out by becoming melancholic for the rest of the day.

Some days are better or worse. I don't know on what it depends. Does anyone have the same experience? I probably should try taking a nap afterwards, but I'm in a state of not being tired. Maybe I should try anyway? Next week I'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers