Monday, January 18, 2010

Flying Pig: Week 16


I have decided to train for the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati, OH, on 2 May 2010. My pal from high school, Craig (shout out), convinced me to run something, and I didn't really need much persuading. I wanted to run a spring marathon, and since Boston was out due to everyone registering for it early, Flying Pig seemed like the best option.

My goal is to run 2:59:59 or faster, which is 6:51 minutes per mile. I think that I can pull off a 2:56:58 (6:45 pace). I'll wait for week 12 to make a decision on that. Craig is going to qualify for Boston this run. It's his second marathon and he's a strong runner. We ran together in high school and I use "together" loosely because he was always far, far ahead of me. So I feel good that I can hold my for once, even though it's ten years later and doesn't matter now. One day he's going to catch up and surpass me once again, that bastard.

For the week...

Monday: 8mi @ 7:50 (w/ 4 x 400 @ 1:29, 1:32, 1:34, 1:32)
Tuesday: 5.4mi @ 8:30
Wednesday: Spinning and weights
Thursday: 10mi @ 7:50
Friday: Off
Saturday: 15mi @ 7:25 (w/ 8mi @ 6:48, 6:48, 7:08, 6:38, 6:57, 7:11, 6:55, 6:43)
Sunday: 5mi @ 8:44

I have put the Hal Higdon training method to rest. It has served me well, but I need something new. So I turned to my new friend, Pfitzinger (from this book) to try his German-sounding training program. So far my legs are really tired all the time. I'm only the second week into it, and so far it makes sense. For the NYC Marathon, I ran a really disjointed training program. I had the "more is better" mentality, so I decided to run hard all the time and ended up exhausted and unable to really do quality speed work. My new mindset is to run smarter and run slowly when I need to in order to run faster later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers