Friday, December 25, 2009

Empire State of Mind: Day Two

I woke up and went on a slow and steady 1.5 mile run. I should’ve went to ground zero, but I’m a bad American and I totally forgot about it and ran to the Brooklyn Bridge instead.

I decided to view the Guggenheim Museum on the Upper East Side, across from Central Park. The building itself was spectacular and designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The Kandinsky wing is sort of built in a spiral shape with the center being open; the higher you go, the later his work you will find yourself. I really wish I had more time there because it was so fascinating and inspiring. I could’ve spent all day there... or until I became too hungry to think about art.


Which I did and I ate at a cafe called somethign something. I had a beat panini with corn, and if you think that sounds disgusting, then you are way off base because I loved it and I hate beats. (I wanted to try something new.) I walked d

own the street and either hailed my first cab, or an old woman hailed one for me, but I can’t be sure.


From there I went to see “South Pacific” on Broadway. If you don’t know, it was written by the stellar combination of Rodger and Hammerstein and tells the love story between a French plantation owner and a horribly-racist-but-spunky nurse from Arkansas who sings real pretty. It was beautiful and entertaining, even if the heroine is sort of an awful person. I really recommend it. I went to get a Starbucks because I felt sick, and I thought I could heal myself with green tea. A Burmese man sat next to me and we made small talk. Who says New Yorkers aren’t friendly?


I wanted to find a place to eat, but after traveling all the way uptown, I went back downtown for find this amazing place that was called Otto Enoteca Pizzaria, and it was crowded with costumed Manhattanites. The village was insane because it was Halloween weekend. Oh, if only I liked Halloween and I could drink! The scene on the subway was a madhouse.It was comparable to DC on fourth of July. I couldn’t move, and I was pissed. I met really nice people at the restaurant because I was wearing that Nike NYC Marathon t-shirt. I’ve learned to advertise myself and people will generally be nice to you. So I met another three nice New Yorkers and another group who was also running the Marathon.


I didn’t get back to the room until a lot later than I would’ve liked due to the amount of people on the street, and I may have gotten lost. I’d be too excited to sleep anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers